Following the announcement of the new iPad (yes that’s what they’ve called it) at the Apple event held earlier today, iOS 5.1′s debut was also referred to. The new software update can now be downloaded with multiple significant improvements to make note of.
Siri came loaded on the iPhone 4S limited to only a few languages. That number has been expanded by one; Japanese is now supported by Siri, which was rumored. Among other things, the following is the whole list:
- Japanese language support for Siri (availability may be limited during initial rollout)
- Photos can now be deleted from Photo Stream
- Camera shortcut now always visible on Lock Screen for iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS and iPod touch (4th generation)
- Camera face detection now highlights all detected faces
- Redesigned Camera app for iPad
- Genius Mixes and Genius playlists for iTunes Match subscribers
- Audio for TV programs and films on iPad optimized to sound louder and clearer
- Podcast controls for playback speed and a 30-second rewind for iPad
- Addresses bugs affecting battery life
- Fixes and issue that occasionally caused audio to drop for outgoing calls
The camera icon that was previously only visible when you double-clicked the home button when the lock screen was lit up is now always visible. Additionally, the new iPad has a new UI for its camera application.
With the introduction of iOS 5, Apple aimed to make the need for iTunes practically nonexistent. Including WiFi syncing, initial setup for the device without a computer and other things, they also noted that you can download software updates directly from your device. All you have to do is:
1) Navigate to Settings
2) Click on General
3) Hit Software Update – your device will now fetch iOS 5.1
4) You can either learn more, which brings up the above list of features, or you can hit Download and Install
5) Your device will automatically download the update in the background and will install it – it’s extremely easy unless you have a slow internet connection.